Jump to Navigation

Child Custody & Visitation

Pennsylvania Child Custody Lawyers

At Shemtob Law, P.C., we recognize that no two cases are alike when it comes to child custody. As a result, we always utilize an individualized approach in these highly sensitive cases. Over the years, our firm has successfully handled a number of child custody cases, including those involving grandparents' rights, third party custody, and gay and lesbian issues.

Contact us to discuss your child custody and visitation concerns with an experienced family law attorney. From our office in Blue Bell, we serve clients throughout the Main Line and Upper Main Line communities, as well as throughout Chester, Bucks, and Montgomery Counties.

Pennsylvania Child Custody: What is in the Child's Best Interest?

Pennsylvania child custody law requires that all child custody decisions must be in the best interests of the children. In most cases, this means some form of a joint custody arrangement between parents. In general, custody rights are divided into legal custody and physical custody.

  • Legal custody: In divorce cases involving minor children, the court will usually decide that the parents will have joint legal custody, meaning that both parents will be involved in decisions regarding the child's health, education and general welfare.
  • Physical custody: Physical custody refers to with whom the child/children will live. Even in joint custody arrangements, one parent will usually serve as the primary custodial parent. The child will reside with this parent the majority of the time and have a visitation/parenting time schedule with the other parent.

It is always our primary goal in any child custody case to achieve that which is in the children's best interests. If we cannot achieve this through negotiation or other alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods, we will zealously represent our clients in court.


In our growing and transient society, issues of relocation are arising more and more frequently. Shemtob Law, P.C. advocates for the rights of parents seeking to relocate with their children, as well as parents opposing such a move. The parent wishing to move must show the court that the move is in the best interests of the children. Further, the move must not harm the children's relationship with the noncustodial parent. There are a number of factors the court will consider when determining whether to grant relocation, and a knowledgeable divorce attorney, such as the ones at Shemtob Law, P.C., will be able to help you navigate these waters.

If relocation is approved by the court, the existing child custody and visitation schedule will need to be modified. We can assist with child custody and visitation modifications, as well as with other post-divorce modifications.

Grandparent Rights to Custody and Visitation

Grandparents have rights in Pennsylvania. Under certain circumstances, Pennsylvania law will allow a grandparent to petition the court for custody. In order to apply for custody, a grandparent must have previously served in a parental role for 12 months or more. Further, the grandparent must show genuine care and concern for the grandchild. Also, the grandparent's relationship must have begun with the consent of a parent of the child. While grandparents and third parties have no visitation rights, there may be certain instances where a grandparent can petition the court for visitation rights.

At Shemtob Law, P.C., we recognize every custody case stands on its own. Contact us to learn how we can help with your Pennsylvania child custody case.

Divorce and family law attorneys of Shemtob Law, P.C., located in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, serve clients in Main Line and Upper Main Line communities, such as Gladwyne, Lower Merion, King of Prussia, Norristown, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Villanova, St. Davids, Radnor, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Paoli, Malvern and Valley Forge. Our law firm also represents clients from surrounding communities, such as Newtown Square, Media, West Chester, Doylestown, Fort Washington, Yardley, and New Hope and throughout Bucks County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County, and Philadelphia County.